When trying to upgrade windows 10 I got the following above error. I did these steps for the MBR partion (view link for GPT) type and the update then worked:
- Press the Windows key + R. In the Run window that comes up, type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter.
- Select the partition marked System Reserve. Press-and-hold or right-click on it.
- Select Change Drive Letter and Paths.
- Choose Add.
- Enter Y for the drive letter.
- Tap or click OK.
- From the Start menu, search for cmd. Right-click Command Prompt from the search results, and select Run as administrator.
- In the command prompt, type Y: and hit enter to switch to that drive. Then, navigate to the Fonts folder by typing cd Boot\Fonts.
- Type the following and press Enter:
takeown /d y /r /f .
Note: You must include the space and the period after the “f”, or the command will not work properly.
- Back up the permission to the drive by typing the following and press Enter:
icacls Y:\* /save %systemdrive%\NTFSp.txt /c /t
Note: Make sure that all files are showed as successful and none as failed.
- Type whoami and press Enter, and then record the user name. Type the following command and press Enter:
icacls . /grant <username you got from whoami>:F /tNote: Do not put a space between the username and “:F”, or the command won’t work.
- Make sure you are still located in Fonts location (Y:\Boot\Fonts) as described in step 8. Then, Type del *.* to delete font files. The system may ask you if you are sure to continue, press Y and then enter to continue.